Business Assurance Manager - Middle East & South Africa
This role is key in ALE’s journey to develop mature management systems.
This role involves working closely with the management team and employees across the business, offering expert knowledge and skills in order to generate and promote a positive health, safety, quality and environmental (HSQE) culture and to help control occupational & HSQE risks. This includes ensuring that all legislation is adhered to and policies and practices are adopted, helping to plan, implement, monitor and review the necessary protective and preventative measures, and to work towards continual improvement and minimisation of HSQE incidents and nonconformities within the scope of company activities: the provision of worldwide transportation and lifting services to all industry sectors.
Whilst specialist in your region, you will have peers globally, and you will work together to deliver a business assurance environment which is efficient, timely, consistent and value-adding – to both our management teams and employees in ALE, and to our clients.
In the first instance the Business Assurance Manager will report to the Regional Director and act as the management representative responsible for Business Assurance and HSQE management in their designated region. Responsibilities incude (but not limited) to:
- Provide expert advise to their Respective Region on developments affecting the organization through reviewing existing processes procedures, measures and translate that to operational working practices and policy development ensuring involvement and/or consultation with stakeholders as necessary.
- Provide an Assurance and Audit role in the company through Internal audits against ISO requirements and continual improvement of the organisation's Integrated Management System.
- Support process owners drive service and system improvements throughout the Region working with process owners in a collaborative way to effect enhanced, continuous and sustained improvement with the development and updating of their processes within the business unit.
- Manage 3rd party ISO certification including attending audits, disseminating results, and ensuring corrective action plans are developed and carried out.
- Support the Group HSQE Manager int he setting and monitoring of actual performance versus the approved annual internal audit plan.
- Lead and be responsible for the appointment, planning, management of ALE's internal audit function both internal and external quality assurance; ensure the implementation and monitoring of high-level action plans in respect of internal audits, quality system audits, non-conformance corrective/preventive actions, and management investigations.
- Identify opportunities for their respective business units to improve the efficiency of controls and processes and;
- Work with the process owners to effectively implement these processes.
- Monitor ongoing success of and adherence to revised processes.
- Accountability and performance management framework.
- Risk management framework.
- Quality management framework.
- Perform an evidence based follow up of all audit recommendations and findings raised to provide assurance that recommended controls are fully implemented within agreed target dates.
- Promptly alert line and functional management to significant accidents and incidents. Provide leadership, advice and guidance and assist with and review near miss, incident investigations and nonconformities. Notify relevant authorities where required and compile incident and nonconformity statistics.
- Too keep official contact with institutions and government bodies; Keeping current with developments in legislation and other applicable requirements and advising the management team as appropriate, ensure that all areas of statutory compliance in relation to governance standards are complied with regarding HSQE.
- Assistance with assessment, evaluation and re-evaluation of the HSQE performance and suitability or approved key suppliers and sub-contractors.
- To liaise with clients and customers where necessary relating to HSQE issues.
- To assist when required with the completion of Pre-Tender and Qualification questionnaires.
- To carry out external audits at suppliers and/or subcontractors when required.
- Prepare and where necessary, deliver training materials in relation to the duties and responsibilities outlined, as required.
- Analyse trends and other data in order to provide HSQE performance feedback to management and assist with setting of targets.
The Ideal Candidate
QUALIFICATIONS - ESSENTIAL
- Minimum relevant diploma level in safety, environmental and quality management or similar recognised vocational qualification.
- Lead Auditor (preferably in quality management)
QUALIFICATIONS - DESIRABLE
- A recognised Supervisory, Management or Higher Education qualification.
- Vocational qualification such as an Engineering Discipline.
EXPERIENCE - ESSENTIAL
- A minimum 3 years HSQE experiene at an appropriate level
- Experience of dealing with all levels of management.
- Thorough understanding of ISO9001:2015, ISO14001:2015 and OHSAS 18001/ISO45001
- HSQE experience at project/site level.
- Multinational, diverse workforces.
EXPERIENCE - DESIRABLE
- Membership of appropriate safety, environmental and quality institutions.
- Previous experience within a similar company, engineering background advantageous.
SKILLS & ABILITIES - ESSENTIAL
- Intermediate Excel / Word / Outlook
SKILLS & ABILITIES - DESIRABLE
- Able to solve ad-hoc problems quickly with clearly defined solutions.
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES - ESSENTIAL
- High level of self motivation
- Good communicator - written and verbal
- Able to work as part of a team
- Able to learn new techniques and procedures
- Dynamic person with practical 'hands-on' experience
- Quality and detail focus
- An Organised and Effective Planner
- Ability to influence
OTHER REQUIREMENTS - ESSENTIAL
- Driving license
OTHER REQUIREMENTS - DESIRABLE
Competitive package with tax free salary
About the Company
ALE is an engineering specialist. The core activity of the group involves engineering solutions for the horizontal an vertical movement of very large individual items.
Our expertise lies in all aspects of heavy lifting and transportation, including specialised cranes, transporters, hydraulic equipment, and barges. The unique nature of our work means that we rely on highly skilled operators and engineers to work on our projects in a safety critical environment.
ALE serve a wide variety of industry sectors worldwide, ranging from power generation to ports, from renewables to oil and gas, and from civil engineering to mining. We work both onshore and offshore, and in many other challenging environments from high altitude, to desert and even arctic conditions. Our customers include the top global Engineering Procurement and Contracting companies (EPCs), oil and gas companies, NOCs, major infrastructure specialists, governments, ports and other contractors.
Formed in 1983, ALE employs 2,100 people in 40 businesses across the world. The company has grown tenfold in the last ten years, and is continuing to reach out to new locations and sectors.