Graduate Project Engineer
Our engineering teams are at the heart of our business, and are critical to our continued success. As a Graduate Project Engineer within ALE you will be involved in the design of innovative, high quality, cost effective and safe solutions for our clients, then ensuring that these solutions are delivered on time and budget to the client’s satisfaction whilst meeting our stringent commitments to health and safety, quality and impact on the environment. No two projects are the same, and project sites will be at a number of destinations both within and outside the UK. If you’re looking for a role that provides constant challenge and variety, then look no further.
The role of Project Engineer is to control and execute the engineering activities and project management of ALE Offshore Services including performing tender drawings, design drawings, technical tender support, production RAMS documentation and structural calculations for Load-out, Float-over and various marine/civil heavylift operations. It is expected that the successful candidate will progress in their role to include site visits, client liaison, site implementation and site based engineering.
- Engineering solutions of clients’ heavy transport and installation requirements both on site and in the Engineering Office
- Attend kick off meetings with Commercial and Operations teams to establish the client’s exact requirements and agree deadlines for submission of documentation.
- Production and handover to Commercial and Operations teams of Risk Assessments and Method Statements (RAMS), equipment lists, engineering drawings, design calculations, operations programmes, plant and labour requirements ensuring the documents comply with company procedures, legislative guidance and good practice
- Attend site visits to measure and record specific information, including routing, and to ensure that this information is incorporated into the RAMS documentation
- Co-ordinate with the internal departments to ensure activities are compliant within ALE’s agreed scope and programme, with timely and suitable communication of any required changes
- Attend site for the execution of the project and assist the site supervisor in the completion of the project by being the main point of contact with the client on site with regards to co-ordination, project programme, engineering and HSQE issues
- Liaise with Project Manager and Operations Manager regarding site progress
- Provide technical support to the ALE site supervisor and respond to issues on site in a professional and timely manner
- Maintain your continual professional development (CPD) with the aim of becoming Chartered through the support of the company’s Career Appraisal Scheme
The Ideal Candidate
QUALIFICATIONS / KNOWLEDGE - ESSENTIAL
- Degree in relevant engineering discipline (Civil, Mechanical, Marine)
QUALIFICATIONS / KNOWLEDGE – DESIRABLE
- A Level (or equivalent ) in Maths and Physics, grade A or B
EXPERIENCE - DESIRABLE
- Work placement in engineering or related business
SKILLS - ESSENTIAL
- Produce design calculations to relevant standards
- Intermediate AutoCAD/Excel/Word/Outlook
- High analytical ability
- Fluent in English
SKILLS – DESIRABLE
- Advanced AutoCAD
- Knowledge in Engineering & Marine Software such as MATHCAD, STAAD, MOSES, SACS, OPTIMOOR, AUTOHYDRO etc.
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES - ESSENTIAL
- High level of self-motivation and self-management
- Good communicator – written and verbal
- Able to work as part of a team and also independently
- Able to learn new techniques and procedures
- Able to invent and propose new methods of work/modifications to existing systems
- Able to solve ad-hoc problems quickly with clearly defined solutions
- Quality and detail focus
- Able to travel in different countries at short notice
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES - DESIRABLE
- Clear concise communicator – written and verbal
- Able to adapt communication style to suit audience (Site operator – Client – Board member)
- Effective Planner
OTHER REQUIREMENTS - ESSENTIAL
- Must have full right to work in the UK
- Flexibility is required, and willing to travel and work within and outside the UK for extensive periods.
- Current and valid driving license
- Current and valid passport, no restrictions
About the Company
ALE is a leading provider of heavy lifting and transportation solutions to a wide variety of industry sectors worldwide, ranging from power generation to ports, from renewables to oil and gas, and from civil engineering to mining. We work with clients both onshore and offshore, and in many other challenging environments from high altitude, to desert and even arctic conditions. Our expertise lies in all aspects of heavy lifting and transportation, including specialised cranes, transporters, hydraulic equipment, and barges. The unique nature of our work means that we rely on highly skilled operators and engineers to work on our projects in a safety critical environment.