Heavy Lift Engineer
Our growing engineering team is responsible for the development of leading edge technical solutions for large multi-disciplinary projects using unique and specialised equipment, and our engineers are involved in multiple projects during their evolution.
ALE GPD is involved from the early stages of these special projects, lead times may be 2-3 years, therefore roles and responsibilities will vary month to month, depending on live project requirements. You will be involved in multiple projects as they develop.
During concept and proposal stage you may be very involved with the sales teams, as you will be producing technical schemes, drawings, method statements, schedules, equipment planning and tender documents, for the pre-contract award stages of the projects.
Upon contract award you may commence detailed engineering for the projects, in preparation for the live site operations.
At the time of project execution, you may be involved in and lead our site engineering, supporting the operational teams, being the technical lead in front of the client, and carrying out the more specialised operations.
The role delivers variety, in terms of types of project and equipment, work locations, working teams, experiences and also responsibilities to fulfil project requirements.
- Responsibility for producing and subsequent handover of engineering deliverables, including performing all lifting, transport, and installation studies. These may include risk assessments and method statements (RAMS), equipment lists, engineering drawings, design calculations, rigging studies, operations programmes, plant and labour requirements for both proposals and the execution of works as required by the project.
- Attend kick off meetings with commercial and operations teams to establish the clients exact requirements and agree deadlines for submission of documentation.
- Attend site visits to measure and record specific information and to ensure that this is correctly interpreted, and incorporated into the methodology described in the RAMS.
- Co-ordinate with internal departments to ensure activities are compliant with ALE’s agreed scope and programme, with timely and suitable communication of any required changes.
- Liaise with the site supervisors to ensure that the works may be carried out in accordance with the method statements and risk assessments.
- Attend site for the execution of the project collaborating and supporting the site supervisor and crew in the completion of the project by being the main point of contact with the client on site with regards to coordination, project programme, engineering and HSQE issues.
- Provide technical support to the ALE site supervisor and respond to issues on site in a professional and timely manner.
- In long term complex projects, develop the assistant Project Manager role leading the Project Team and being responsible of all aspects of the Project, including technical, budgetary, HSQE, logistics, schedule, etc.
The Ideal Candidate
QUALIFICATIONS / KNOWLEDGE
- Degree in a related Engineering discipline (structural, mechanical, civil)
- IOSH Managing Safely Certificate
- Risk Assessment Training
- CPCS Appointed Person
- Relevant experience within the heavy lifting and transport industry
- Working within an engineering department (2+ years post graduate)
- Significant on-site experience working alongside and had involvement in mentoring of other site engineers.
- Knowledge of the heavylift / transport sector
- Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Word and Excel are required.
- High level of AutoCAD
- Project Planning Software
- High level of self motivation.
- Can work independently and takes the initiative.
- Good communicator – written and verbal in English language.
- Able to work as part of a team
- Able to learn new techniques and procedures
- Able to invent and propose new methods of work/modifications to existing systems
- Able to solve ad-hoc problems quickly with clearly defined solutions
- Quality and detail focus
- Effective planner
- Able to lead a team
- Clear concise communicator – written and verbal
- Able to adapt communication style to suit audience (Site operator – Client – Board member)
- Flexibilty is required, and willingness to undertake travel and work with extensive time away from normal place of work worldwide.
- Current and valid driving license
- Current and valid passport, no restrictions
- Willing to relocate internationally
About the Company
ALE is an engineering specialist. The core activity of the group involves engineering solutions for the horizontal and vertical movement of very large indivisible items.
Our expertise lies in all aspects of heavy lifting and transportation, including specialised cranes, transporters, hydraulic equipment, and barges. The unique nature of our work means that we rely on highly skilled operators and engineers to work on our projects in a safety critical environment.
ALE serves a wide variety of industry sectors worldwide, ranging from power generation to ports, from renewables to oil and gas, and from civil engineering to mining. We work both onshore and offshore, and in many other challenging environments from high altitude, to desert and even arctic conditions. Our customers include the top global Engineering Procurement and Contracting companies (EPCs), oil and gas companies, NOCs, major infrastructure specialists, governments, ports and other contractors.
Formed in 1983, ALE employs 1,800 people in 38 businesses across the world. The company has grown tenfold in the last ten years, and is continuing to reach out to new locations and sectors.