At the heart of our business, ALE engineers are critical to our continued success, and we are looking for a talented engineer to become one of the keystones of our Offshore Services business.
Logical, organised and efficient, you will be involved in unique & bespoke heavy-lifting projects both onshore & offshore primarily in the Oil & Gas, Renewables, Civils & Sub-sea industries, using your engineering skills to design and innovative high quality, safe and cost-effective solutions for our clients utilising Offshore Services global fleet of heavy lifting/pulling/winching & ballasting equipment. You will create detailed project plans, drawings and work instructions to ensure that these solutions are delivered on time and on budget to the client’s satisfaction whilst meeting our stringent commitments to health and safety, quality and impact on the environment. Our work is varied, and every project has its unique challenges, so your flexibility, problem solving skills and communication skills will all be important.
Our most successful engineers are confident, technically very capable, have good CAD skills, can work without supervision and are flexible – both in the hours that they work, and where they work. No two projects are the same, and project sites can be at various locations all over the World.
In return, we can give you a very rare, and hugely rewarding position that will enhance your career and give you the opportunity for a future with an exciting, growing and truly global engineering organisation. If you’re looking for a role that provides constant challenge and variety, then look no further.
- Create engineering solutions to clients’ on and offshore requirements, working both on site and in the engineering office and supporting the Sales team with engineering requirements during the tendering phase.
- Attend site to conduct detailed surveys for the purposes of bids, feasibility analysis, routing and hazard identification, in order to develop a project methodology with calculations, swept path and installation drawings and full job specification.
- Production and handover of Risk Assessments and Method Statement documentation (RAMS), equipment lists, engineering drawings, design calculations, rigging studies, operations programmes, plant and labour requirements for both proposals and the execution of works; ensuring these documents comply with company procedures, legislative guidance and good practice. Documents need to be to a high professional standard.
- Attend kick off meetings with Commercial and Operations teams as required, to establish the clients’ exact requirements and agree deadlines for submission of documentation
- Attend site during execution of the project, collaborating with and supporting the project manager, site supervisor and crew. Act as the main point of contact with the client on site with regards to coordination, project programme, engineering and HSQE issues and attend technical project meetings.
- Co-ordinate with other departments to ensure activities are compliant within ALE’s agreed scope and programme, with timely and suitable communication of any required changes.
The Ideal Candidate
- Bachelors' degree in Mechanical/Civil/Structural engineering
- Knowledge of FEM
- Relevant experience in a similar position
- Relevant experience within the heavy lift, transport or construction industry
- Working within an engineering department (2+ years post graduate)
- On-site experience and involvement in mentoring of other site engineers
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Competent to an intermediate/advanced level with Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Word and Excel
- Good communicator with excellent oral and written English skills
- Able to lead a team and organise tasks to ensure successful project execution
- Capable user of AutoCAD 2D and/or 3D
- Capable user of Inventor, Solidworks or similar 3D modelling software
- Ability to produce structural analysis using MathCAD or FEM software
- High level of self-motivation
- Can work independently and takes the initiative
- Able to learn new techniques and procedures
- Able to solve ad-hoc problems quickly with clearly defined solutions
- Quality and detail focus
- Effective planner
- Flexibility and willingness to travel frequently
- Eligible to live and work in the UK
- Current and valid Full UK driving license
- Current and valid Passport, no restrictions
- Visa if required
Competitive, dependent on experience
About the Company
ALE is an engineering specialist. The core activity of the group involves engineering solutions for the horizontal and vertical movement of very large individual items.
Our expertise lies in all aspects of heavy lifting and transportation, including specialised cranes, transporters, hydraulic equipment, and barges. The unique nature of our work means that we rely on highly skilled operators and engineers to work on our projects in a safety critical environment.
ALE serve a wide variety of industry sectors worldwide, ranging from power generation to ports, from renewables to oil and gas, and from civil engineering to mining. We work both onshore and offshore, and in many other challenging environments from high altitude, to desert and even arctic conditions. Our customers include the top global Engineering Procurement and Contracting companies (EPCs), oil and gas companies, NOCs, major infrastructure specialists, governments, ports and other contractors.
Formed in 1983, ALE employs 2,200 people in more than 40 businesses across the world. The company has grown tenfold in the last ten years and is continuing to reach out to new locations and sectors.